The last week of November has finally come! And although many people are already playing their Christmas music, we at Premier Engineered Products want to be sure we don’t forget about Thanksgiving.
But before you feast on that turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie, here are some interesting statistics about Thanksgiving that might have you viewing it a little differently this year.
• The total number of turkeys that are eaten on Thanksgiving day is roughly 51 million. Good thing the U.S. raises roughly 248 million turkeys each year—we need them.
• The amount of money the U.S. spends on Thanksgiving dinner food is $2,375,000,000—which divides up into about $55 per household.
• The annual consumption of turkey by the average American is about 16 pounds. I wonder how many of those pounds are consumed on Thanksgiving day…
• The number of families that will travel for Thanksgiving is about39 million. That explains the traffic.
• In 2011, shoppers spent $52 billion on Black Friday, averaging almost $400 per shopper.
• The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade used to include live animals, but they were soon replaced by the helium balloons we see today.
• Speaking of which, the parade is the second largest consumer of helium in the country, having taken about 300,000 cubic feet of helium to keep the balloons in the air in 2010.
Crazy, right? But hey—it’s a holiday, and holidays are meant to be special. So enjoy your turkey, rooting for your favorite team, watching the parade, and spending time with your family! And if you’re one of those 39 million families travelling, stay safe!
Happy Thanksgiving from the number one die casting service provider on the East Coast.
-Premier Engineered Products
By Leonard Cordaro, President of Premier Engineered Products